Australians are known for their passion for the great outdoors, beautiful beaches, and friendly camaraderie, and this love for life extends to their adoration for BBQs. Cooking outdoors and socialising around a grill have become national pastimes, with BBQ events often serving as weekend celebrations of good food, close friends, and warm weather.
With the warmth of summertime sunlight and the thrill of family gatherings, nothing is more pleasurable than a grill’s sizzle and the aroma of tantalising BBQ drifting through the air. Whether you’re operating a gas BBQ, charcoal BBQ, or Weber gas BBQ, we have a delicious selection of BBQ recipes your family will love.
Juicy BBQ Chicken – A Classic Favourite!
Everyone loves the classic BBQ chicken! Here’s an easy recipe fit for any BBQ, raised to perfection on a gas or charcoal grill.
• 4 large chicken breasts
• Salt and black pepper for seasoning
• 1 can of your favourite BBQ sauce
1. Preheat your gas or charcoal BBQ grill to medium heat.
2. Sprinkle salt and pepper to season the chicken breasts.
3. Place the chicken on the BBQ and cook to a slight char (about 5-6 minutes on each side).
4. Wait for the final 3 minutes of grilling before generously applying your favourite BBQ sauce on each side.
5. Serve the chicken breast hot with a side of your choice — grilled veggies or a heap of coleslaw sounds good!
Succulent BBQ Ribs – Melts Right in Your Mouth!
Cooking ribs on a BBQ may seem daunting, even if you’re using a Weber gas grill. But with this recipe’s slow, indirect heat and flavorful BBQ sauce, it’s easier than you might think.
• 2 slabs of baby back ribs
• BBQ Rib Rub (store-bought or homemade, your choice)
• 1 bottle of BBQ sauce
1. Preheat your Weber gas grill to around 135 degrees Celcius.
2. Rub your rib slabs with the BBQ rib rub.
3. Next, place the ribs in the middle of the grill (meat side up) before closing the lid. From here, you’ll use indirect heat to cook them for about 2 hours- or until the meat has shrunk from the bones.
4. When the ribs are cooked, apply the BBQ sauce liberally to the ribs, then continue cooking for another 20 minutes.
5. Serve the ribs with more sauce on the side because who can resist that finger-licking goodness?
Grilled Veggie Skewers – Healthy & Tasty!
Grilled vegetables are an excellent companion for any BBQ meal. These skewers’ vibrancy and flavour make them perfect for both vegetarians and meat lovers.
• 2 Yellow bell peppers, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
• 2 Red bell peppers, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
• 2 Zucchinis, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
• 1 Red onion, cut into wedges
• 16 Cherry tomatoes
• 8 Wooden Skewer sticks soaked in water
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Olive oil for brushing
1. Preheat your gas, charcoal or Weber gas grill.
2. Thread the vegetables onto the skewers, alternating as you go.
3. Brush olive oil over each skewer, then season with salt and pepper.
4. Cook the skewers on the grill for 15-20 minutes- or until the vegetables are tender (ensure you turn them occasionally).
5. Serve these refreshing skewers with your BBQ main dish – perfect for balancing the meal!
BBQ Shrimp – An Australian classic!
To truly embrace the Australian spirit, you must experience some BBQ Shrimp. So, give the recipe below a go and prepare for a party on your tongue!
This easy-to-make and much-loved recipe is perfect for grilling on any BBQ- be it charcoal or your Weber gas BBQ- adding a scrumptious seafood dish to your meal that is bound to impress.
• 24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails intact
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
• 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tsp paprika
• 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
• 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
• Salt, to taste
• 8 metal or wooden skewers soaked in water
• Lemon wedges, for garnish
1. Whisk the spices, salt and oil, sauces/juice in a mixing bowl.
2. Add the shrimp to the marinade and stir properly for an even coating. (Pro tip: for richer flavour, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours).
3. Preheat your gas Weber BBQ or charcoal BBQ to medium-high heat.
4. Skewer the marinated shrimp.
5. Grill the shrimp skewers for 2-3 minutes per side until they are pink and opaque.
6. Serve the BBQ shrimp immediately with lemon wedges for a zesty touch.
Grilling is more than just cooking; it’s about bringing people together. The aroma of delicious food on the grill is enough to gather everyone around, laughing, chatting, and eating. So, why not add new, exciting recipes to your BBQ repertoire?
These delightful BBQ ideas will undoubtedly spark some joy at your family gatherings around a gas BBQ, charcoal BBQ, or Weber gas BBQ. Not only are these dishes mouth-wateringly good, but they’re also perfect for sharing and creating everlasting summer memories. So light up that grill, and start cooking up some fun!